Break your January slump with advice (and smack talk) about divorced spouses and step-parents, babysitting and how to avoid it, tetchy ranting about goddamn anti-feminists, and we Ask a Dude about Manliness. As usual there are recommendations, and a highly offensive Dubious Sex Toy.
FYCL #20, if you are still doing the old-fashioned-y downloading of each episode, rather than subscribing with our shiny new rss or via iTunes.
Link! the Hero of Time:
Closing music is “Sound the Trumpet” by Purcell sung by the James Bowman and the luscious Daniel Taylor, because all that talk of Manliness made me long for some really fruity counter-tenors.
A reminder: although only the most recent 3 episodes are live in iTunes, you can always access back episodes of FYCL in our archive at uppitywomen.org/media/
Got a question or a comment? Leave it here, or email us at fyclpodder at gmail dot com.
Dubious advice on yoga balls, why feminists don’t judge, or at least why they should try to get over it; how not to introduce your significant other to your parents, the secret feminism in Monsters vs Aliens, both dubious and non-dubious sex toys, and recommendations interrupted by shocking breaking news.
FYCL #11, if you are still doing the old-fashioned-y downloading of each episode, rather than subscribing with our shiny new rss or via iTunes.
Closing music is “I Can See Clearly Now” by Holly Cole.
Leave your feedback, comments, sex flavour recipes and similar here.
Dubious advice on fertility, feminism, the semantics of “guys”, plus complaining about colds, cheaters and the weather. Dubious sex toy of the week has a rather fantastical twist, and recommendations include suggestions for other podcasts we like. Besides ours, I mean.
FYCL #8, if you are still doing the old-fashioned-y downloading of each episode, rather than subscribing with our shiny new rss or via iTunes.
Older archived episodes are available to download here, even if they don’t appear on the iTunes site or in the feed.
A veritable cornucopia of linkery for you:
- If you need to catch up on the cheatery saga, here are part 1 and part 2 – I am still on tenterhooks waiting for the report.
- Gloria Steinem’s Supremacy Crimes essay.
- Masculinities and gender on XY.
- NY Times article about the differences between men and guys.
- Dubious sex toy this week from Bad Dragon; as usual, click at own risk, possibly warning your housemates that you may scream when you look at the dolphin penis dildo. Slightly more dubious tentacle dildo, OMG I cannot believe I typed that.
- Cool medieval comic porn at Oglaf.com.
- More comics: Hark a Vagrant, Achewood.
- Deliciously mean fashion commentary on Go Fug Yourself.
- Podcasts we like, all of which you can also find via the iTunes: This American Life, Savage Love, Stuff You Should Know, In Our Time, and Harry Shearer’s Le Show.
Closing music is “Mother of Pearl” by Nellie McKay.
Leave your comments on the use of “guys” or anything else here. You can also email me questions at whatladder at gmail dot com.
FYCL #5, click to listen, etc, you know the drill.
Dubious advice on gratitude, fuck buddies, relationship talk, feminism, faux feminism and babies, and drinking.
We really blitzed the links with our discussion of Roiphe and the reactions to her, so here you are:
- Roiphe’s article on new motherhood from Double X, with the comments, many of which were worth reading.
- Roiphe’s previous article, on mothers who talk about their kids on Facebook, which kind of contextualizes why this new position is getting so much WTF, just on a personal level.
- Analysis of the article in the Straw Feminist Weekly segment on Shapely Prose (kateharding.net).
- Disingenuous Hanna Rosin calling us all morons for not getting Roiphe.
- There’s a thoughtful commentary from our go-to girls on Jezebel.
- If you don’t want to read all the reaction yourself, Slate has a helpful roundtable roundup of opinion, including some comments from Kate Harding.
- Stephanie Wilder-Taylor stops drinking, and the NYT thinks it is news. Or possibly “lifestyle”.
- Wilder-Taylor’s I Quit post on her blog.
- Not being too cynical, but wondering about Wilder-Taylor’s influence led me to a little goohoo, and I found this blog all about women drinking and not drinking, which started just after Wilder-Taylor’s big “I quit” post, and links her very prominently.
- Dubious sex toy of the week. Click at OWN RISK.
- SJ’s recommendation, Autostraddle.com. I am loving that they have a “crafty and DIY” tab.
Music in at the end is “Rubberband Girl” by Kate Bush.
Please post comments, questions and ideas here, or you can email me at whatladder at gmail dot com.