FYCL #5, click to listen, etc, you know the drill.
Dubious advice on gratitude, fuck buddies, relationship talk, feminism, faux feminism and babies, and drinking.
We really blitzed the links with our discussion of Roiphe and the reactions to her, so here you are:
- Roiphe’s article on new motherhood from Double X, with the comments, many of which were worth reading.
- Roiphe’s previous article, on mothers who talk about their kids on Facebook, which kind of contextualizes why this new position is getting so much WTF, just on a personal level.
- Analysis of the article in the Straw Feminist Weekly segment on Shapely Prose (kateharding.net).
- Disingenuous Hanna Rosin calling us all morons for not getting Roiphe.
- There’s a thoughtful commentary from our go-to girls on Jezebel.
- If you don’t want to read all the reaction yourself, Slate has a helpful roundtable roundup of opinion, including some comments from Kate Harding.
- Stephanie Wilder-Taylor stops drinking, and the NYT thinks it is news. Or possibly “lifestyle”.
- Wilder-Taylor’s I Quit post on her blog.
- Not being too cynical, but wondering about Wilder-Taylor’s influence led me to a little goohoo, and I found this blog all about women drinking and not drinking, which started just after Wilder-Taylor’s big “I quit” post, and links her very prominently.
- Dubious sex toy of the week. Click at OWN RISK.
- SJ’s recommendation, Autostraddle.com. I am loving that they have a “crafty and DIY” tab.
Music in at the end is “Rubberband Girl” by Kate Bush.
Please post comments, questions and ideas here, or you can email me at whatladder at gmail dot com.