In fact, I am so boring that students fall asleep by the handful in my 8am class, including one in the front row who fell asleep in a really flamboyant, head-thrashy way that had everybody mesmerized. Here are all the things I was tempted to do, but did not:
- throw my textbook at her
- throw any other one of several assorted objects, including my bottle of water
- turn the contextual music on again, really loudly
- complain that if I am that boring, maybe I should just give up
- give a pop quiz (quietly, though)
- motion the rest of the class to leave, leaving her there
- kick her desk and/or chair
- shake her and say, loudly “OMG are you okay? You totally passed out!”
- laugh like a drain.
Instead, I tried incredibly hard to ignore it, and just let the rest of the students P&L.